NJDOT Disburses $30M in Freight Grants

The New Jersey Department of Transportation distributed $30.1 million in grants on March 18 as part of its Local Freight Impact Fund program.

That program helps fund local county and municipality projects that fall into one of four categories – bridge preservation, new construction, pavement preservation, and truck safety and mobility – and the grants are administered by the NJDOT Division of Local Aid and Economic Development

A total of 17 projects are receiving rewards in 10 New Jersey municipalities and counties, the agency noted; two are for truck safety and mobility related, two are for new construction projects, and the remaining 13 fund pavement preservation efforts.

NJDOT’s Gutierrez-Scaccetti

“These Local Freight Impact Fund grants allow counties and municipalities to make critical improvements to truck routes that are essential to keeping our regional economy thriving,” NJDOT Commissioner Diane Gutierrez-Scaccetti explained in a statement.

“New Jersey roads and bridges carry a tremendous amount of commercial truck traffic every day and we are using funds generated through the gas tax to make sure our infrastructure can handle the load,” she added.

Created as part of Transportation Trust Fund (TTF) reauthorization in October of 2016, this is the third year that grants have been made under the program.

The New Jersey DOT also just awarded 12 airport improvement program grants totaling more than $4.8 million in state funds to support airport safety and improvement projects at nine airports in seven New Jersey counties.

The agency added in a statement that eight of those grants will be funded solely through the TTF and Airport Safety Fund, with the state providing 90 percent of the eligible cost and the remaining 10 percent covered by the airport owner. The remaining four grants will receive 90 percent funding through the Federal Aviation Administration’s matching grant program, with the state and the airport owner each contributing five percent.

Related articles