Connecticut DOT Completes I-95 Bridge Replacement

The Connecticut Department of Transportation recently hosted a news conference highlighting a successful bridge replacement project along Interstate 95 near the town of Westport.

[Above photo by Connecticut DOT]

As part of the I-95 Norwalk/Westport Project, two bridges over Saugatuck Avenue were replaced over the course of two weekends. The agency noted that it used accelerated bridge construction techniques to reduce overall construction time and minimize impacts to the thousands of motorists traveling the corridor daily.

The $104 million project – 90 percent federally funded with the remaining 10 percent funded by the state – improves safety through various roadway improvements, upgraded lighting, and new drainage infrastructure that will help alleviate flooding in the area.

Photo by the Connecticut DOT

The agency noted that that entire I-95 Norwalk/Westport Project should be completed by November 2024.

“Using advanced techniques, the Connecticut DOT was able to completely replace both the northbound and southbound sides of this aging bridge on I-95 over the course of only two weekends, minimizing traffic disruptions to the greatest extent possible so that this necessary safety improvement could be completed,” noted Governor Ned Lamont (D) in a statement. “Infrastructure upgrades like this are critical to keeping our transportation system moving safely.”

“We’re excited to utilize accelerated bridge construction techniques so we can complete jobs quicker and minimize impacts to the public,” added Connecticut DOT Commissioner Garrett Eucalitto. “This project improves safety and will make a major difference for the Norwalk and Westport communities, as well as for motorists who travel I-95 on a daily basis.”

Related articles