The Wisconsin Department of Transportation is adding live traffic video feeds to the state’s 511 travel information system. Accessible online at 511wi.gov or via the 511 Wisconsin smartphone app, motorists can now view live video feeds of travel conditions via more than 400 traffic cameras throughout Wisconsin.
[Above photo by the Wisconsin DOT]
The agency said this new feature replaces the former method of displaying only still camera images, which updated every few minutes.
Wisconsin DOT Secretary Craig Thompson explained that the new live traffic camera feeds provide greater “situational awareness” to motorists while also delivering more timely information to emergency responders.
“We’re proud to expand the capabilities of the 511 Wisconsin travel system to improve service and accessibility to live traffic conditions,” he said in a statement. “We’re implementing another tool to help drivers plan ahead better and avoid traffic backups on their route to work, school or next road trip.”
The agency also offered tips on how to use the new 511 feature:
- Visit 511w.gov online or download the 511 Wisconsin smartphone app.
- In the top right corner under the Map Legend and 511 layers box, click the “cameras” checkbox.
- Look for the camera icons along your route.
- On 511wi.gov, click the camera icon and look for “show video” button to view the live camera feed.
- On the 511 Wisconsin smartphone app, press the “play” button in the bottom right corner.
The camera upgrade is part of continuous improvement in the 511wi.gov system and streamlines video management for Wisconsin DOT’s Traffic Management Center. The agency added that it launched a major overhaul to winter road reporting to improve consistency and accuracy of roadway conditions in January.